Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Cooking the Deals of May 22-28

Last week we were so busy that I didn't get a chance to post much of anything, and we had to recover from my sister-in-law's out-of-town wedding, so it's a little late, but I'm back with some yummy recipes this week, including some of my summer-time favorites on the grill!
Since I find it easier to plan ahead, than try to play catch-up, I will be posting the meal ideas part-way though the week (I'm shooting for having it done by Tuesday night, so you know might have a better idea of what you want to get at Rainbow on Double Daze on Wednesday), with the idea that you can do your grocery shopping for the next week. But of course, if you see something you just have to try then why wait until next week? Cook it up tonight for dinner!

Keep in mind though, that I do assume that you will have some of the staples stock-piled on hand. When you're starting off you may not have some of these things stock-piled, but as you go you will!

A "*" denotes items I have on hand that I have gotten for free.

Rainbow Shoppers (that's me!)... check out the list of deals this week at Rainbow.
And for those without a near-by Rainbow... check out the list of deals at Cub.

Meal #1: No Name Steaks & Grilled Pineapple
Pineapple $2.48 @ Rainbow 
No Name Steaks $10.98 @ Cub
A1 Steak Sauce $1 off 1 store coupon in Rainbow ad
Ingredients on hand: cinnamon 

Meal #2: Brats & BBQ Seasoned Corn-on-the-Cob
Johnsonville Brats $4.88 for 3 pounds @ Rainbow
Brat buns (I would get these at a Taystee Bakery Outlet, as it's the cheapest I've seen for breads) or $0.68 @ Rainbow
Corn-on-the-Cob $3.45 for 12 @ Rainbow
Ingredients on hand: seasonings (check recipe), butter

Meal #3: Grilled Pita Sandwiches, Chips & Dip
Johnsonville Italian Sausage $4.88 for 3 pounds @ Rainbow
Kraft Natural Cheese $0.50 @ Rainbow
Pocket Pitas (I would get these at a Taystee Bakery Outlet, I think I've even seen these on the "free" rack)
Ragu Pasta Sauce (pizza might be included?) $0.89 @ Rainbow
Crisco Olive Oil $3.24 @ Cub
Dean's Dip $0.25 @ Rainbow
Kruncher's Chips $1.00 @ Cub
Ingredients on hand: ricotta cheese

Meal #4: Crock Pot Chicken Lettuce Wraps & Pasta Salad
Gold'n Plump Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs $2.50 @ Cub
Onion $0.79/lb @ Cub
Suddenly Salad $1.00 @ Rainbow
Ingredients on hand: mix-ins for pasta salad (pepperoni, shredded cheese, bacon bits, tomatoes, whatever you like!), garlic cloves, soy sauce, white wine, ginger, allspice, balsamic vinegar, lettuce


I usually like to get at least 5 meal ideas for you guys, but I've been so busy, and I want to get this posted for you.

I'm really wondering if people actually find this helpful or fun to read & get ideas from. I would love your comments or feedback. Is there anything I could do better to make it easier for you?

2 comments:

Jacque said...

The pitas and the lettuce wraps both sound good! How many steaks are in the No Name?

Sarah Gibson said...

I just checked No Name's website, and there are four 6-ounce steaks or six 4-ounce steaks. I personally like the Petites (the 4-oz.), but that's just me!